Monday, July 28, 2008

July 27, 2008

THE CORRUPTING INFLUENCE OF PAC MONEY

Greetings and good evening!

Ever since I ran for office in 1986, my campaigns have been funded by small contributions from individuals. I accept no money from special interests (Political Action Committees), and I only accept a maximum of $100.00 per person. This is not the usual approach!

Political Action Committee (PAC) money is a corrupting influence on the entire political system in this country. There are limits on individual contributions, but not on PAC money. If you want to see a disgusting example of how conventional politicians fund their campaigns, go to the list of the PAC contributors to John Barrasso's current campaign. There are about 500 individual donations from a long list of industries that want to have John Barrasso on the line for many votes over the next 4 years. Check it out:

http://query.nictusa.com/cgi-bin/can_give/2007_S6WY00068

That adds up to more than 1 million dollars, and the campaign season has not yet really started! Disgusting is one word for it, but of course there are many others.

Then of course there are individual contributions as well. Go to:

http://query.nictusa.com/cgi-bin/can_ind/2007_S6WY00068

There are 624 individuals, many from out of state, that have given thus far to John Barrasso, and all of that is fine. The fact that captured my attention is that most of the donations are for $1000.00 and up!

I have self
-imposed my unilateral campaign finance reform system for a number of reasons. The main reason being that the source of the money that funds campaigns has influence on that candidate. I never want to be in the position of having a struggling thought pass through my mind that my vote on an issue that I believe impacts people like you, could also end up impacting my ability to raise money and garner re-election.

If an industry has given some enormous sum of money to a candidate, $100,000 would not be uncommon, then you can bet that when an issue that impacts both industry and the people comes to a vote, there will be a choice that has to be made. We'll take a look at some of the bills that Mr. Barrasso has voted on in my next Underdog Update!

Interesting Note: My opponent in the Primary Election race has criticized Senator John Barrasso for being in the pocket of special interests, and rightfully so.

Unfortunately, "Conflict" Nick is doing the same dirty deed!
Go to: http://query.nictusa.com/cgi-bin/can_give/2007_S8WY00155

Such a strategy does not say much for my opponent's political intelligence. Wyoming voters will not respect a politician who criticizes politicians who take special intest money while doing the same thing. That dog will not hunt!


Keith Goodenough, your WY Candidate for US Senate

1 comment:

Kay Yaks said...

wow - I had no idea the numbers were that big. Disgusting is one word - I can think of others that describe it well too.

Keith, I appreciate your position on campaign funds - power to the people!

Welcome to my campaign

Donate

Campaign contributions are welcome. In keeping with my longstanding policy, I accept a maximum of $100 from any individual. I do not accept donations from Political Action Committees (PACs).

If you would like to donate, mail to:
Goodenough for Wyoming
PO Box 1852
Casper WYO 82602

E-mail me

Wyoming Constitution...Article 1, Section 1: All power is inherent in the people, and all free governments are founded on their authority, and instituted for their peace, safety and happiness; for the advancement of these ends they have at all times an inalienable and indefeasible right to alter, reform or abolish the government in such manner as they may think proper.